Online Learning Tips
Welcome to MTC’s Online Learning! We hope that you will find taking courses online as a great way to further your education. Below you will find a list of helpful tips to ensure you are successful in your online course.
- Complete the Smarter Measure Learning Readiness Indicator found on the Georgia Virtual Technical College (GVTC) website http://www.gvtc.org/Resources/SmarterMeasure.aspx to see if you are ready to take an online course.
- Visit the Online Learning tab on the MTC website, www.moultrietech.edu, to view online information and resources and to complete the ANGEL Tour.
- Be sure that you know your Student ID number. Your login for ANGEL will always be 37_student ID number. This will also be your password the first time you log into ANGEL. You will then be prompted to change your password. This is a secure site, so you should not share your logon information with others.
- You will not have access to your course(s) in Angel till the first day of class.
- Make the ANGEL Learning website http://moultrietech.angellearning.com a favorite on your computer.
- You will need to use either Internet Explorer 7 or 8 or Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or higher as your web browser. For additional information regarding computer needs, complete the ANGEL tour or visit http://www.gvtc.org/StudentOrientation/ComputerNeeds.aspx .
- All MATH courses, COMP 1000, and some BUSN and ACCT courses require students to use additional software to complete assignments. These software applications are included with the course textbook that is purchased from the bookstore.
- Be sure that your email address in Banner is correct. Log into Bannerweb on MTC’s Homepage www.moultrietech.edu to change your email account.
- You may utilize the Online Learning Center, MTC Library, and Student Academic Center computers to work on your assignments while on campus; but you need to have access to a computer outside of MTC to be successful in your courses.
- Email your instructor the first 5 days of class to ensure you are counted present. Use the email options through Angel to communicate. After the first 5 days, you must log into your course at least 3 times every week and have some type of communication with your instructor. This communication includes sending an email, posting to a discussion board, submitting an assignment, or taking an assessment. Just logging into the course and logging right back out does not count as attending. Five consecutive days without communicating with the instructor will result in a withdrawal (“W” or “WF”) from the course.
- Your instructor will respond to your email within 24 hours Monday-Thursday, and within 48 hours Friday-Sunday.
- All online courses are required to have at least one proctored event during the semester. Your instructor will inform you of the event (s) will be and the date(s) of occurrence. It is your responsibility to secure a qualified proctor and submit your PERF (Proctored Exam Request Form) to the online department. While MTC proctors does not charge for proctoring, other proctors may. It is you responsibility to pay any charges that may be incurred for proctoring; therefore, you should be prepared to pay at the time of testing.
- If you do not complete your proctored event/exam for the course, you will not receive credit for the course.
- If you need assistance during the semester with Angel, please contact Katie Harrison, Distance Education Specialist, email@example.com, 229-217-4172 or Peggy Wilson, Online Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 229-217-4227. If you need assistance with proctoring, please contact Rhonda Sauls, Online Facilitator, email@example.com, 229-217-4157.
Have a great semester!